POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : My personal wishlist : Re: My personal wishlist Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My personal wishlist
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 25 Feb 2000 03:17:02
Message: <38b63a7e@news.povray.org>
>: displacement mapping for patterns
>
>Sometimes a very specific type of turbilence is needed, for example
>twisting or waving or similar. A displace warp which takes a pattern
>as a parameter and returns a vector based on the color on that pattern
>in a point, namely x = r-0.5, y = g-0.5, z = b-0.5, would make such
>things possible. Maybe some of the isosurface gurus can do it with
>function pigments but I can not.

mmmmm. Sounds interesting

>: chop pieces off with bounding
>
>If a bounding object is smaller than what it bounds, the results are
>unpredictable. I think a more logical behaviour would be the one seen
>in isosurfaces, i.e. the bounding object should restrict the bounded
>object, exposing the intersection surface and texture. Of course, it
>would still bound the object for ray-shape intersection tests.

Isn't that better done with clipped by? Or do you want to merge the two?

>: leave original textures when CSGing
>
>When performing a CGS difference or intersection, any object with a
>non-specified texture is assumed to have a black pigment and ambient
>0. I think a more reasonable behaviour would be to ignore its texture
>and use the texture of whatever object the intersection point is in.
>Of course this could lead to "coincident interiors" problems but I
>think with proper CGSing they can be avoided.

That would make my life SO much easier. Difficult to
implement though (Think of the following:
difference {
 union {
  sphere {
    <0,0.5,0>,1
    pigment {Red}
   }
   sphere {
    <0,-0.5,0>,1
    pigment {Blue}
   }
  }
  box {
   <0,-2,-2>,<2,2,2>
  }
 }

What colour should the overlapped area of the spheres be?
Red, Blue or Purple?

>Well, this is it, for now .If anyone cares to implement anything from
>this list, the beer's on me :-)

Another I would like :
 The ability to layer a texture over a complex CSG when each
part has its own texture (If this is possible without using two copies of
the object, please
let me know)

union {
  object {A texture {A}}
  object {B texture {B}}
  texture {PartiallyTransparentTexture layered}
}

The last texture should be layered over the others, instead
of just applying to objects without a texture.

Gail
* gsh### [at] monotixcoza              * ERROR: COFFEE.COM not found  *
* http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/ * Insert cup and press any key *
* Definition of an upgrade: Take the old bugs out, put new ones in*